Monday, August 6, 2007

The Highwayman - Concepts

I've always been a fan of the poem 'The Highwayman' by Alfred Noyes, ever since I first read it in my English class in Elementary School. Later, I discovered the song version of it done by Loreena Mckennitt and that inspired me into slowly developing yet another project. So I began to do research and slowly am I beginning to put the pieces together to either make a simple storyboard lieca reel of The Highwayman or simply keep it at character and layout design.

So far though, I've just been toying around with character design:

Above is a lineup of all the quick sketches I did of Bess. I was having a particularly tough time figuring out her hair and upper body. So at one point, I kept going over the same drawing once I figured I'd hit on something. Eventually, I settled on the seventh drawing:
The "Highwayman" - as I call him, considering he's never given a real name aside from his title, is proving to be the biggest challenge. So far, I've only managed to whip up one concept of him that I find promising that I had done in pen while scribbling on some scrap paper:


And that's all I have, so far on this project. Once I finish wrapping up a few more commissions, I plan on getting back around to this and, at least, getting some decent full bodied sketches and poses done of these two characters.

No comments: